Monday, March 30, 2009

Make Someone Happy

Quote of the day: "It makes me happy to put a smile on someone else's face!" - Elise

We hear a lot of requests these days urging people to get out and volunteer in their community. The need is so great. Today's quote was said by a 16 year old volunteer at a Seattle food bank, where I volunteer my time regularly. Her goal today, besides being helpful by packing and distributing food, was to say a perky "hello" to everyone she came in contact with and try to get them to at least smile back. In return, she received joy. And oh, she was overflowing with joy! She was genuinely surprised at how much she enjoyed being there.

There are times in our lives when we can give help, and times when we need to receive help. If you can give, do so. You'll be rewarded with unexpected joy.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree. I'm so happy that I have a skill that I can use to make people happy. I have always wanted to be involved in charitable work but when I put myself in a new situation I always get shy. Blah! So I discovered that donating jewelry to charity auctions or charitable sites is best for me. It's such a great feeling to know I'm helping out.
    I really enjoyed your post. It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete