Saturday, May 23, 2009

Look What I Made Today! Riveted Amulets


Although I missed being outside in today's nice weather, I had a great time in another jewelry class. Today's class involved making riveted amulets, taught by Janice Berkebile of Wired Arts. The two lampwork beads were purchased about a year ago in MN. The other sterling silver bead is something that I originally purchased to be a focal bead in a Viking knit bracelet, but it turned out to be too large and heavy for a bracelet. I think it worked out perfectly for today's project! It's my favorite of the 3 - I think I may have to keep that one for myself. I'll add a sterling ball chain to it to give it a little more of an industrial feel. I'm thinking about adding some form of embellishment to the tops of the bails, but I haven't yet decided on what they should be. When I finish them, I'll list them on etsy.
I wish I had taken a photo of every one's finished pieces. They were fantastic and each of us produced items that were very different from the others. I have ordered some river rock beads and I plan to use them in some riveted pieces.

I also now have 5 finished riveted rings and will be listing them gradually on etsy. I spent Thursday and Friday hammering and pounding away, making components for mixed metal bracelets. I have enough for 2 bracelets so far. All I need to do to finish them is do the riveting, which will I estimate will take me about 7 hours more. Fun, but very time consuming.

The rest of my holiday weekend will be spent enjoying the sunny Seattle weather! Yes, the sun really does shine here occasionally :) I hope you enjoy your long weekend, too!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy. These are beautiful! I noticed you've been able to include some spirals on one of these too! Great job. I imagine they are a lot of fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these and what a great way to use lampwork beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I'm please with this look and they were fun to make. Watch for more soon; I have 2 more lampwork beads and I'm planning some river rock amulets, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! I look forward to what is to come:)

    ReplyDelete