Friday, June 10, 2011

Recycled Copper Earrings

This week's Year of Jewelry Project theme is "Recycled (a piece that started life as something else.)"

These earrings began life long ago as a copper cuff bracelet. I made the bracelet in a jewelry class using a rolling mill and a piece of Mylar netting to create the texture. The netting was rolled into the copper twice - in opposite directions - which gave it that wavy texture. After years of never being worn as a bracelet, I decided to cut it up and create 4 pairs of earrings out of it. Two pairs are shown here, but there were 2 more pairs that have already been sent to friends as part of my facebook "Pay it Forward" sign-up last January. The earrings in this photo will soon be mailed as gifts.

4 comments:

  1. Those are totally cool Sandy!! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristi! I wish there was more of this textured copper left so I could have a pair for me, but no such luck. Off they go to others...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Sandy - the design rolled into the copper is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandi! I couldn't duplicate it if I tried. That's one of the fun things about using a rolling mill - it's different every time.

    ReplyDelete