Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mother's Jewelry Box - Part 7



Today I'll show you two photos. The first is a photo of my Mom, showing her lovely hands. As I've said in my earlier posts, she had long slender fingers and loved to wear rings to show them off. This picture gives you a glimpse of those lovely hands.


The second photo is a sixpence that my Dad presented to me on my wedding day. The traditional poem "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue and a Silver Sixpence in Her Shoe." is said to bring good luck to a marriage. In English tradition, the sixpence is placed in the bride's shoe to be worn during the wedding ceremony. The morning of my wedding, my dad taped this sixpence into the lining of my shoe. I thought I had misplaced it and actually feared I had inadvertently donated it, along with the shoes, many years ago. Imagine my delight to discover it this week - it was taped to the inside wall of my mother's little "pearl" jewelry box! I know this was the sixpence my father gave me because the one he presented to me was issued in my birth year (imprinted on the reverse side).


Tomorrow, in my final post in honor of Mother's Day, I'll show you a necklace of my grandmother's and a treasured 4 generation photo.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice photo of your mom, her hands are amazing!! And a wonderful story of the sixpence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristi. They're the amazing hands of an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely woman and what a great story...what a great tribute your posts this week have been to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandi, she was lovely! My last post in the series will be tomorrow, Mother's Day. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete