Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cabs and a visit from my daughter - a nice combination

This weekend, my local Bellevue bead shop, Quiltworks Northwest, is hosting the owners of Out of Our Mines lapidary and beadworks. It's the first time I've seen their beads and cabochons and I spent a good deal of time at their table. The cabs were of particular interest to me as I begin crafting bezel set rings and pendants. I picked up these beauties and one other that I've already set into a ring for my daughter (pictured below). There were so many more cabs that I would have liked to purchase and I'll definitely be going to their website in the future.
My 24 yr old daughter is visiting us from MN this weekend. It's so nice to have her here for a change. She made a terrific dinner for us on Thursday evening, we've walked, talked, laughed a lot, went to a movie (Julie and Julia), shopped a bit, and made jewelry together. She's going home tomorrow with a new ring and about a dozen pairs of earrings - she rummaged through my leftover bead stash and came up with some beautiful combinations! We've had a great weekend; I'll be sad to send her back to MN tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful cab in your daughter's ring. You did a great job setting it. I'm sure she'll treasure it forever.
    I'm glad you had fun with your daughter. I have a daughter that lives in Illinois and I don't get to see much of her. We keep in touch via emails and phone though.
    Continue your lovely work.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn. The cab Carla picked out is absolutely beautiful - the color is so deep and rich. I am certainly still learning but it's nice that I can see improvements as I go along. I'm working on several more right now. Hopefully, at least a few of them will be sell-worthy.

    It is hard to have our daughters so far away from us, isn't it? Email & texting have become our primary mode of communication, with phone chats about once per week. Technology in general for short communication does help alot though.

    ReplyDelete