Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Mother's Jewelry Box - Part 2

In keeping with my Mother's Day theme this week, here is a picture of another one of my Mom's rings. It's an amethyst stone. I wore this ring daily for many years after Mom passed away and it remains one of my favorite rings today. I love the swirl in the ring shank and the shape of the stone. I've managed to scratch up the top surface of the stone by wearing it so often. I really should bring it in to a pro to see if the scratches can be polished out, but part of me believes a little wear and tear adds character to jewelry. I recall my mom wearing this ring only a few times. It was one of the newer pieces in her collection.

I'm excited to bring you more of my mother's jewelry box throughout this week. Going through the box is bringing back fond memories for me. Oh, how I loved trying on her jewelry when I was a child!

3 comments:

  1. It's no wonder this is one of your favourite rings, it is so beautiful. I'm more of a silver person but I would definitely wear this.

    I also used to rummage through my mum's jewellery box as a child. How trusting she must have been and I'm only just realising that now because when my daughter makes a move towards any of my jewellery she is under strict instructions 'not to touch'. Maybe I need to rethink that rule?

    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristin,
    I too, prefer silver, but since my wedding ring is gold, I tend to mix my metals in my own jewelry. Ususally I wear only my wedding ring and my watch, which is silver and gold. When the jewelry I'm wearing is sentimental, is doesn't matter what metal it is.

    Yes, I do think we need to allow our children to create some of the same memories we had. My playing with my mother's jewelry was under her watchful eye as she put on her jewelry, make-up and packed her purse to ready for evenings out with my dad. It was bonding time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ring Sandy....amethyst is my birthstone so I am very partial to it. The stone in your mom's ring is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete